Academic Review: Appointment and Advancement
This page provides information regarding the appointment and advancement review processes for academic employees, also known as “academic review”. If you are an academic employee inquiring about your own academic review, please contact your Academic Generalist in HR Shared Services, whom you can find listed via the following link: Find Your HR Representative Search.
- Academic Review Criteria
It is the policy of the University to evaluate objectively and thoroughly each candidate for appointment, promotion, or merit increase. Promotions and merit increases are not automatic, but are based on merit.
Appointment and advancement policies and procedures for specific title series may be found below. For more information on series criteria and eligibility for advancement please consult with your Academic HR Generalist, whom may be found here: Find Your HR Representative Search.
- UC System-Wide Review Criteria
Academic Personnel Manual (APM) review criteria by academic series:
- APM 220: Ladder Rank/Tenure Track Series
- APM 230: Visiting Appointments
- APM 270: In Residence
- APM 275: Clinical X Series
- APM 278: HS Clinical Series
- APM 279: Volunteer Clinical Series
- APM 280: Adjunct Series
- APM 310: Professional Research Series (Non-Represented)
- APM 330: Specialist Series (Non-Represented)
- APM 350: Clinical Associate
- APM 355: Research Associate
- APM 365: Assistant/Associate University Librarian
- APM 370: Academic Administrator Series
- APM 375: Academic Coordinator Series
- APM 430: Visiting Scholars and Other Visitors
Academic Senate voting rights:
Contracts for Represented Non-Faculty Academic Employees:
- UCSF Campus Review Criteria
- Evaluating Contributions to Diversity for Advancement and Promotion
- Evaluation of Collaborative Research
- Recognizing Contributions to Interprofessional Education
- Chair Letter Comments Guide
- Qualification Requirements and Service Examples for Specialist Series
- Dossier Checklists
Dossier checklists list the material requirements for academic review packets based on the type of academic review action and/or academic series.
- Abridged Packets
- Academic Administrator / Academic Coordinator
- Acting Professor
- Adjunct (Salaried or WOS w/ step)
- Adjunct WOS (no step)
- Assistant/Associate University Librarian
- Career Review
- Clinical Associate WOS
- Emeritus / Recall
- Five Year Review
- Health Sciences Clinical (Salaried or WOS w/ step)
- Health Sciences Clinical WOS (no step)
- Ladder Rank, In Residence, Clinical X
- Lecturer WOS (Educator WOS)
- Professional Researcher
- Professional Researcher WOS
- Research Associate WOS
- Visiting Professor / Visiting Professional Researcher
- Volunteer Clinical
- Additional Procedural Documents
Approval authorities for review actions:
Review packet requirements:
- Temporary Appointments: Appropriate Series
- When is "MyCV" Required in Advance?
- Step Requirements for WOS and Part-time Non-Senate Appointments
Additional procedures by review type:
Additional procedures by series type:
- Academic Administrators:
- Additional Information on Academic Clinical Titles
The University of California Office of the President (UCOP) released revised and new sections of the Academic Personnel Manual (APM), updating policies affecting the review, appointment, reappointment, and advancement of employees in academic clinical titles. At UCSF, these changes went into effect on July 1, 2018.
Campus Implementation Guidelines & Resources:
- Academic Clinical Policies Presentations:
- Academic Clinical Titles Side-By-Side Comparison—Reference Sheet
- Committee on Academic Personnel (CAP) expectations for the HS Clinical Faculty Series
- Academic Review Criteria Comparison (HS Clinical vs. Clinical X series)
- Examples of Appropriate Academic Clinical Appointments
- Clinical Associate Verification Form for the Schools of Medicine, Dentistry, and Pharmacy
- Clinical Associate Verification Form for the School of Nursing
- Volunteer Clinical Professor Attestation Form Example
For additional assistance with these policies, please contact Phillip Babcock, Strategic Business Partner.
- Additional Information on Visiting Scholars / Other Visitors
Academic Policy for Visiting Scholars and Other Visitors provides an opportunity for visitors on leave from an academic appointment, other employment, or student enrollment at a home institution or other entity to visit UCSF to participate in a short-term educational, research, or academic project under the supervision of an academic appointee.
Resources, Forms, and Instruction Guides:
Visiting Scholars/Other Visitors must complete this form and submit it to their sponsor or sponsor’s department:
- Visiting Scholars/Other Visitors – Applicant Form and Instructions Guide
Sponsor or sponsor’s department must complete the following document, and submit it along with the applicant form and required documents:
- Visiting Scholar/Other Visitors – Department Appointment Coversheet and Instructions Guide
Additional resources for Visiting Scholars/Other Visitors:
- Multi-Location Appointments
Multi-location appointments (MLAs) are required for UC employees who work for two or more UC locations/campuses. In a multi-location appointment, one location/campus serves as the employee's home campus while one or more other locations/campuses serve as the employee’s host campus.
For academic employees, it may be necessary for an independent academic review to be conducted by each campus. It may also be necessary that a memorandum of understanding (MOU) be signed by each location. All multi-location appointments require the completion of a multi-location appointment form (UPAY 560-T), subject to renewal on a fiscal-year basis.
Multi-location appointment forms should be sent for approval processing to the Academic Affairs Specialist assigned as liaison to the external UC campus/location on the following list: Multi-Location Appointment Contact List.
Policies and Procedures:
- Bioengineering Pilot MOU Template for UCSF-UCB Joint Appointments (UCB-Home, UCSF-Host) [May be utilized for other departmental agreements with consent of both campuses.]
- Bioengineering Pilot MOU Template for UCSF-UCB Joint Appointments (UCSF-Home, UCB-Host) [May be utilized for other departmental agreements with consent of both campuses.]
- UPAY 560-T Multi-Location Appointment Form