This page includes information on the structure and components of compensation for academic employees.  If you are an academic employee inquiring about your own compensation, please contact your Academic Generalist in HR Shared Services, whom you can find listed via the following link: Find Your HR Representative Search.

Health Sciences Compensation Plan (HSCP) Participants should also refer to their Department/ORU compensation plan for information related to compensation benefits.

Represented academic personnel should consult their current contract for information related to compensation.

Faculty Salary Equity Review Reports

Work/Life Balance and Family-Friendly Policies and Resources

Compensation for Health Sciences Compensation Plan (HSCP) Participants

Base Salary (X and X’) and Academic Programmatic Unit (APU)

Base salary is the approved rate on one of the Health Sciences Compensation Plan Salary Scales associated with a Plan Participant’s academic rank, step and assigned APU.  Base salary represents the minimum salary rate for a faculty member. Base salary is covered by the UC Retirement Plan up to the amount permissible by law and in accordance with UCRP provisions and regulations.

An Academic Programmatic Unit (APU) is composed of faculty with similar clinical, teaching and research responsibilities. All members of an APU share the same salary scale.

Optional Additional Compensation for HSCP Plan Participants

The Chair may provide additional compensation, negotiated on an annual basis, to Plan Participants.  This optional “Y” salary component is beyond the Fiscal Year base Salary (X) and Health Sciences Scale Differential (X’) and is not covered compensation under the University of California Retirement Plan (UCRP).

Plan Participants may receive administrative payments (HZAs), for responsibilities related to University administration that exceed normal responsibilities.  The department must consult with the Dean’s Office if they are proposing payment as part of the Plan Participant’s covered compensation (RGN) because such stipend payments are generally reserved for Chairs and Directors in recognition of their significant administrative leadership responsibilities.

Plan Participants may also receive incentive compensation, referred to as a Z payment, beyond the base and negotiated compensation, upon approval by the Chair. Incentive compensation is not covered compensation for UCRP.  The Chair may earn incentive compensation upon approval of the Dean or his/her designee.

Outside Professional Activities

Plan Participants may engage in outside professional activities (other than patient care) but may retain income from outside professional activities only in accordance with the terms of APM 671, the Compensation Plan and the School’s Implementing Procedures.

Outside professional activities are categorized based on the extent to which they are likely to constitute a conflict of commitment.  Category I activities require prior approval by the Chancellor and annual disclosure.  Category II activities do not require prior approval but do require annual disclosure. Category III activities do not require prior approval nor annual disclosure.  All plan participants must complete an annual certification in the UC Outside Activity Tracking System (OATS) whether or not they have engaged in outside professional activities that year. 

Please refer to the OATS webpage for further information about reporting outside professional activities.


Compensation for Fiscal Year Faculty

UCSF Faculty who are not members of a Health Sciences Compensation Plan are paid at the salary rate for their current rank and step on the UCOP Fiscal Year Faculty Salary Scale.

Fiscal Year Faculty are subject to University rules related to conflict of commitment and outside professional activities, as listed under APM 025.


Compensation for Non-Faculty Academic Employees

Non-Faculty Academics (NFAs) are employees who are appointed in an academic title that does not include formal teaching responsibilities.  Some NFAs are represented by a specific bargaining unit and their compensation is subject to the policies set forth in a specific bargaining agreement or contract.  Some NFAs are not represented by a bargaining unit and their compensation is subject to the policies set forth in the Academic Personnel Manual (APM).

For confirmation regarding your representation status, please contact your Academic Generalist in HR Shared Services, whom you can find listed via the following link: Find Your HR Representative Search.

Contracts for Represented Non-Faculty Academic Employees:

Policies for Non-Represented Non-Faculty Academic Employees:


Honoraria / One-Time Payments

An honorarium is payment by the University to an academic appointee for occasional lectures and similar services beyond normal academic responsibilities to the University in accordance with University policy. Honorarium exception requests for UCSF academic employees (using the One-Time Payment Authorization Form for UCSF Employees) and for non-UC employees (using the Honorarium Exception Request Form for Non-UC Employees) should be sent for approval processing to the Academic Affairs Specialist assigned as liaison to the paying department on the following list: Honorarium Exception Contact List.

An interlocation one-time payment is required when an employee at one UC campus (home campus) is eligible to receive a payment originating from another UC campus (host campus) for an event or service of short duration. Interlocation one-time payment forms (U560/644) should be sent for approval processing to the Academic Affairs Specialist assigned as liaison to the external UC campus/location on the following list: Interlocation One-Time Payment Contact List.

Policies and Procedures:


Recall Salary Rate

Retired academic appointees may be recalled to a compensated or a non-compensated appointment.  All recalled faculty are limited to a maximum total monthly effort of 43 percent.  A member of the faculty who was appointed in a health sciences school at the time of his/her retirement may be recalled as a Health Sciences Compensation Plan Participant in accordance with APM 205.  Retired faculty members who are recalled at a salary rate greater than base salary (X, X’), regardless of percentage effort, are required to be Plan Participants. For recalled faculty who are Plan Participants, all terms and conditions of the Plan apply, including the requirement that all clinical and/or patient care activities must be provided within the University setting or as part of an approved affiliation agreement or Professional Service Agreement.

Policies and Procedures:



FLSA Salary Threshold

The United States Department of Labor (DOL) has approved a change in the federal Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA), effective January 1, 2020.  The revised rule increases the minimum salary threshold for overtime-exempt employees from the currently enforced level of $455 per week (equivalent to $24,660 per year for a full-year worker) to $684 per week (equivalent to $35,568 per year for a full-year worker).

Moving Expenses Reimbursement

Departmental requests for the reimbursement of up to 100% of reasonable moving expenses for all eligible academic employee titles may be submitted directly to accounts payable without additional review or exceptional approval under APM 560.

Home Loan Program Resources (MOP, SHLP, and FRAP)

The Mortgage Origination Program (MOP) is a recruitment tool to assist qualifying new faculty in purchasing their first home in the Bay Area.

The Supplemental Home Loan Program (SHLP) and the Centrally-Funded Supplemental Home Loan Program (CF-SHLP) can reduce the amount of cash a borrower needs to cover the down payment. While the supplemental program reduces the funds needed at the time of purchase, the SHLP is a second mortgage and increases the borrower's monthly mortgage payment over the life of the second loan.

The Faculty Recruitment Allowance Program (FRAP) primarily assists faculty recruitment by providing department support for housing costs, but the recipient may use the allowance to support childcare expenses, education, tuition assistance, or other family/housing related expenses.

Please refer to the Home Loan Programs webpage for MOP, SHLP, and FRAP eligibility criteria and the application process.

Title Codes / Salary Scales